[geeks] Vista is a job creator...

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 12:22:16 CDT 2006

On 9/19/06, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Here is another problem: because content creators can blacklist devices,
> if a particular blu-ray drive outputs full quality on the current
> DVD digital output standard, content creators might blacklist the
> device, even though it is not designed for piracy.
>
> I think you can see a number of obvious problems with blacklisting.
>
> Imagine Sony refuses to make a deal with Hollywood.  Suddenly it finds
> its players blacklisted by a vengful studio.
>
> Maybe it isn't likely, but I'm worried that the technology makes that
> sort of stupidity possible.

Given that Sony owns a huge chunk of the intellectual property in the
entertainment industry, I consider it unlikely.  However, for any
small hardware start-ups, yes, this is what I would call "chilling".
Face it, DRM locks out the small guys, which is just what the media
conglomerates want.  The inter-relationship of content distributors,
the controllers of the delivery mechanisms, and their influence on the
majority of content producers pretty much guarantees where this is all
leading.  Consumers will be spoon-fed "culture" on a pay-per-view
basis.

=Nadine=