[geeks] Vista is a job creator...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Sep 19 11:24:01 CDT 2006

Tue, 19 Sep 2006 @ 10:43 -0400, Joshua Boyd said:

> Could be, but what is this new undocumented pin out cable?  All I see in
> the stores are analog cables, DVI cables, and HDMI cables, and I know
> I've seen documentation for each of them.  I may be slow though.  I try
> to keep up.  Is HDMI being replaced with something newer and more
> secretive?

No, it's a cable that is part of an encryption system.  Primarily you'll
see it with bluray devices right now.

The idea is this:

The device will only transmit full data over a special cable, and then
only if the data stream is encrypted.

Otherwise, you get lower quality data over that cable, or use another
cable and connections that also give lower quality data.

It is designed to "protect the consumer" by not allowing pirates to
intercept the highest quality signal.

Of course, pirate == "person who wants to make a legal copy" in addition
to those who truly steal.

It's also a way to artificially obsolete your equipment because even if
your system can display the full data stream, it only works if it has a
hefty DRM system built-in.

Of course, once you accept this, there are other possible uses:

	- force you to watch content with no way to stop it
	- force you to participate in marketing before you can see
	  the movie (or whatever since this could be used for any data)
	- force you to pay to see what you already paid for
	- force you to tell big brother all of your data usage habits
	- force you to see certain content depending on your
	  encryption-system verified location
	- politically correct data on a per-location basis

Really, the sky is the limit once you accept this level of outside
control.

You either accept what they want, or you get greatly degraded quality.

The sheeple will go for the quality.

In the next generation, the choice will be removed entirely, and
naturally this will be sold as an improvement for the benefit of the
consumer (garanteed higher quality or your next five forced
advertisements are free).

If you think all that sounds paranoid, you aren't paying attention.

You really should read some of the marketing papers out there that spell
out what these freaks want.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.