[geeks] Vista is a job creator...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Sep 22 12:14:21 CDT 2006

Tue, 19 Sep 2006 @ 09:19 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:

> >From: Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com>
> >Date: 2006/09/18 Mon PM 06:23:40 CDT
> >To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> >Subject: Re: [geeks] Vista is a job creator...
>
> >On Sep 18, 2006, at 17:59, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> >> In electronic stores now I'm seeing encrypted video cables, and
> >> they are
> >> being sold on all kinds of end-user benefits, with almost no
> >> mention at
> >> all of the restrictions that come with them.
> >
> >What the hell is an "encrypted video cable"?
>
> My guess - a cable with a secret combination of pre-wired pins that
> are considered part of the media protection scheme, making
> reverse-engineering a legal problem (since to do so would require
> "breaking" a protection scheme, which, as we all know, is a crime!)...

That is a large part of the scheme: criminalization of normal behavior.

Of course, that's not as scary as someone finally discovering a system
that really can't be broken.

That's the danger of things like Palladium and similar ideas: total
control over your hardware goes away.  Breaking the encryption in
that case would actually cause your hardware to stop functioning.

That's one big reason so much software now requires network access, and
chats with remote servers all the time.  It's softening people up to the
idea of giving up control over their machines and communications.

Besides the fact that is damned stupid and unreliable, it's a control
freak's wet dream.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The determined programmer can write a
FORTRAN program in any language." ]