[geeks] Vista is a job creator...

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Sep 18 16:26:42 CDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 03:35:46PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: Bryan Fullerton <fehwalker at gmail.com>
>> Date: 2006/09/18 Mon AM 11:43:56 CDT
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [geeks] Vista is a job creator...
>
>> On 9/17/06, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>wrote:
>>> I played with it for a couple of days, and went right back to XP (in
>>> "Windows Classic" theme mode).  I just don't care for the eye candy that
>>> requires a massive graphics card to run.
>>
>> It will be interesting to see what happens if most businesses agree with you.
>>
>> I wonder what adoption projections Microsoft is using for Vista, and
>> if they're realistic.
>
> Well, I've played with it a bit more than Mr. Bill (about a month as my
> main desktop), and to be honest I see no _obvious_ compelling reason to
> upgrade, but I use it simply as a desktop box, nothing exciting...
>
> I've yet to try the RC1 version (I'm still using Beta Release 2, 32-bit
> version), but I think the real motivations will be (in the following
> order):
>
>  - Exciting articles in trade/news magazines extoling the improved
>    performance of Vista
>
>  - Exciting articles in trade/news magazines extoling the improved
>    security of Vista
>
>  - It's going to come on all the new PCs ordered after January
>    (including the CEO/CIOs teenage son's new computer)
>
> And finally, because it will provide plausable cover for buying
> expensive game-oriented video cards for slacker/MS Admin desktops,
> suitable for latest FPS-type games.

Or there might be some app, that will be bundled with the OS, that gives
you a reason to install it.  I stuck with Win2k for a long time after XP
came out for the same reasons most of you did, there was no compelling
reason to upgrade.  Sure, having remote desktop would have been nice,
but for the most part VNC did what I needed.

I'd spent a lot of time and money on various video editing programs and
never found one I liked.  They were either way to high-end, offering
much more than I needed and therefore complicating the simple bits I did
want, or way to simple, not offering the few semi-advanced features I
wanted.  Kind of like MS-Paint VS Photoshop when all I wanted was Paint
Shop Pro.

I was getting frustrated and was about ready to buy a Mac so I could use
iMovie when I read an article, written by a Mac user, about Microsoft
Movie Maker v2.  He liked it more than iMovie.  It was free, but it was
only available to XP users, so I gave XP a shot and therefore got my
Movie Maker to play with.  It indeed did fit the niche I needed, allowing
me to do the edits I wanted, when I was done, I was able to import it
into the bigger programs to do the few higher-end edits and save it out
in formats other than the MS specific ones.

When the first information about Vista started slipping out, I decided
that I was not going to run it.  Period.  I'd put off getting a Mac long
enough, OS X was coming along nicely, and with Tiger, it was finally
what I wanted.  So I dumped my PC and got a Mac.  This one is a PPC,
so I don't even have the bootcamp option of desecrating my system, but
when I do eventually get a new Intel based one, I won't be dual booting
anything, it will be a Mac, through and through.

I don't play games, so that won't even been a reason.

I ran MS operating systems on my personal gear for less than 10 years,
(I was an Amiga guy before that) good riddance.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org