[geeks] Vista is a job creator...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Sep 18 17:59:56 CDT 2006

Mon, 18 Sep 2006 @ 15:35 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:

> Well, I've played with it a bit more than Mr. Bill (about a month as
> my main desktop), and to be honest I see no _obvious_ compelling
> reason to upgrade, but I use it simply as a desktop box, nothing
> exciting...
>
> I've yet to try the RC1 version (I'm still using Beta Release 2,
> 32-bit version), but I think the real motivations will be  (in the
> following order):
>
>  - Exciting articles in trade/news magazines extoling the improved
>  performance of Vista

...which seems bogus since its performance is dismal.

Yes, its a debugging build, but it is quite a bit slower than the
debugging builds of XP and 2K as well.

>  - Exciting articles in trade/news magazines extoling the improved
>  security of Vista

Ha!

>  - It's going to come on all the new PCs ordered after January
>  (including the CEO/CIOs teenage son's new computer)

Basically, Microsoft is counting on this and totally artificial
"requirements" in applications.

For example, all of the programs which "require" WinXP can run fine on
2K.  The requirement is completely artificial.

Microsoft will encourage the same thing with Vista: force users to move
up with artificial requirements.

Then again, nothing new there...

> And finally, because it will provide plausable cover for buying
> expensive game-oriented video cards for slacker/MS Admin desktops,
> suitable for latest FPS-type games.

It's also great for control freaks who want to spy on you, record what
you do all day, and nickel and dime you on 'service rental' through
Microsoft operating systems.

What Microsoft ultimately wants is a black box that you pay through the
nose to use.

You'll go along with it because as soon as you stop complying, you'll
also lose access to your own data, everything.

That's what they want, as do some of their partners.

What scares me through isn't "them", it is the sheep willing to go along
with it.

They'll drag the rest of us with them.

XP and the new media player was just the first step, testing the waters.
XBOX is the other part of it.

Sony has ideas in that regard too.

In electronic stores now I'm seeing encrypted video cables, and they are
being sold on all kinds of end-user benefits, with almost no mention at
all of the restrictions that come with them.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Well, I have entered the "metallic years."
Silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, lead in my ass... -- Sheldon Hall in