[geeks] embedded NAS option

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Thu Sep 14 14:04:38 CDT 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, velociraptor wrote:
> There was a $99 micro-x86 box mentioned on here recently.  The thread
> also resulted in mentions of the GumStix and others.

Do you recall the thread or name of the device?  I'm poking around the
archives a bit and only coming up with the craigslist/audiobook thread
by looking for gumstix.  I have an NLX system that is going to replace
one of them and I want the appliance for the other.

> Buy low-end PPC Mac Minis and install YDL or something on them?

Probably more than I want to spend.

> What's the price point you are looking for?

Sub-$100 would be nice.  I will probably replace both servers eventually.
The ability to mount existing ext3-formatted drives is a plus.

> Do you really want an appliance or just a quiet *NIX box that you can hang some HDs off of?

In a way I want an appliance so I won't be tempted to break^Wfiddle with it.
I have other 24/7 servers for compiling and testing and the more stuff
they do, the more updates they're apt to need and the more I goof with them.

> Minis would have the advantage of having FW as well, so that would
> speed up your HD access.

The only existing FW machine I have is a G4 ibook but I haven't bought
the drive enclosures yet and a dual USB2/FW enclosure would be ok if it's
not horribly expensive.  USB 2.0 is a must.

-DanD

# Only a fool would kill the messenger.