[geeks] embedded NAS option

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 10:24:22 CDT 2006

On 9/14/06, Dan Duncan <dand at pcisys.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, velociraptor wrote:
> > There was a $99 micro-x86 box mentioned on here recently.  The thread
> > also resulted in mentions of the GumStix and others.
>
> Do you recall the thread or name of the device?  I'm poking around the
> archives a bit and only coming up with the craigslist/audiobook thread
> by looking for gumstix.  I have an NLX system that is going to replace
> one of them and I want the appliance for the other.

Sorry, it was on a different mailing list...my bad...geek talk begins
to run together at times.
>Tiny, sub-$100 PC runs Puppy Linux
>Aug 24, '06
>http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6828123924.html

Not sure it's for sale yet, though.

> > What's the price point you are looking for?
>
> Sub-$100 would be nice.  I will probably replace both servers eventually.
> The ability to mount existing ext3-formatted drives is a plus.

What about those tiny Dell things that Lionel was raving about 9 mo.
or so ago?  I think they have 1-2 PCI slots for USB, FW, or SATA
cards.  SATA has the nice advantage of taking longer cable than IDE,
so you can put the disks outside the computer case in their own
cannister.   A used 3Ware SATA RAID card will run you about $100 on
ePay, and there are Linux drivers available.

> In a way I want an appliance so I won't be tempted to break^Wfiddle with it.

I hear you on that.  I've been fighting with my 'doze game box that
also serves as my file server (3Ware hardware RAID card that doesn't
work on Macs) for the last couple of days--I think Windows update has
borked up something.  I would install Linux since the RAID card
supports that, but this is my only PC available for gaming.  I'd
really just rather go buy a ReadyNAS, but I don't have the $$ for it
at the moment.

> > Minis would have the advantage of having FW as well, so that would
> > speed up your HD access.
>
> The only existing FW machine I have is a G4 ibook but I haven't bought
> the drive enclosures yet and a dual USB2/FW enclosure would be ok if it's
> not horribly expensive.  USB 2.0 is a must.

I actually meant the speed b/w the hosting server and the disk drives,
not for directly attaching the cannisters to other machines, though
that is an option as well.

=Nadine=