[geeks] embedded NAS option

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 14:05:26 CDT 2006

On 9/13/06, Dan Duncan <dand at pcisys.net> wrote:
> I'm looking to replace an old file server with something smaller, quieter,
> and friendlier to my electric and cooling bills (and thus I'm posting it
> here instead of rescue :) so I was wondering if anyone had recommendations.
> I've been extremely happy with my wrt54g and all the available hacks so
> I was wondering about devices like the linksys nslu2 or even one of the
> wrt54g-like routers that have USB ports.  My current setup is 2 servers
> sharing out existing PATA drives via nfs and samba and I use rsync to keep
> the data in sync.  The drives are not part of a RAID and I don't back them
> up on a regular basis because I mirror between two servers on two different
> floors of my house.  (They are in slide-out carriers and I occasionally
> back them up to another drive in a slide-out carrier stored offsite.)  I'm
> running heartbeat on both boxes so I actually hit the samba server whichever one
> of them via a virtual IP.  This scheme has worked well for me so I'd like
> to keep the method and just replace the servers.  The drives are in good shape
> so putting them into USB external cases instead of slide-out carriers
> wouldn't be much of a stretch.
>
> Any price vs. footprint vs. availability vs. reliability input appreciated.

There was a $99 micro-x86 box mentioned on here recently.  The thread
also resulted in mentions of the GumStix and others.

Buy low-end PPC Mac Minis and install YDL or something on them?
What's the price point you are looking for?  Do you really want an
appliance or just a quiet *NIX box that you can hang some HDs off of?
Minis would have the advantage of having FW as well, so that would
speed up your HD access.

=Nadine=