[geeks] embedded NAS option

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Sep 14 13:07:21 CDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 01:13:04PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Were I in your shoes, I'd consider a Small Form Factor PC (uATX if you
> are going to build it up, Dell/Compaq SFF box if you want an "off the
> shelf" solution) and stuff it with drives. I've tried all kinds of
> options, and a dedicated PC typically works best (cost/size/heat-wise)
> IMHO. A decent Pentium III box (I've used Dell Optiplex GX100 SFF
> machines) will be quite affordable (less than $20 at local University
> Surplus sale, YMMV) and more than up to the task of serving up files
> off USB drives, esp. if you add a good quality USB card (don't use
> on-board USB 1.1 interfaces) and consider upgrading the NIC if you
> like. SMall PCs like this use minimal power (typically have 145 Watt
> PS and are quiet).

If you don't already have the USB2 card, USB2 case and IDE harddrives,
it might be worth looking into eSATA card, case, and disk.  eSATA only
cases seem to be similar in price to USB2 case. SATA disks seem to be
similar (sometimes cheaper, sometimes not) to IDE disks.  SATA cards
with eSATA port are a bit over $50.  The combination should be far
faster than USB2, especially if you use gige.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/