[geeks] embedded NAS option

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 14 13:13:04 CDT 2006

>From: Dan Duncan <dand at pcisys.net>
>Date: 2006/09/13 Wed PM 01:54:03 CDT
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [geeks] embedded NAS option

>I'm looking to replace an old file server with something smaller, quieter,
>and friendlier to my electric and cooling bills (and thus I'm posting it
>here instead of rescue :) so I was wondering if anyone had recommendations.

I think all the little home networking boxes that are abused (ahm, "Hacked") into file servers are far from stellar performers, in all the accounts I've read.

Were I in your shoes, I'd consider a Small Form Factor PC (uATX if you are going to build it up, Dell/Compaq SFF box if you want an "off the shelf" solution) and stuff it with drives. I've tried all kinds of options, and a dedicated PC typically works best (cost/size/heat-wise) IMHO. A decent Pentium III box (I've used Dell Optiplex GX100 SFF machines) will be quite affordable (less than $20 at local University Surplus sale, YMMV) and more than up to the task of serving up files off USB drives, esp. if you add a good quality USB card (don't use on-board USB 1.1 interfaces) and consider upgrading the NIC if you like. SMall PCs like this use minimal power (typically have 145 Watt PS and are quiet).

Were I to build up a box, I'd use a minitower and put a couple internal drives in it, but not stuf it becuase the drive will create heat, which will require cooling, which will lead to loud fan noise...

Lionel