[geeks] I love it when software gets more efficient

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Sep 13 00:25:28 CDT 2006

Sun, 10 Sep 2006 @ 07:41 +0100, Mike Meredith said:

> On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 19:02:12 -0500, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> > Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > AD group policies allow you to (among many other things):
>
> I'm not sure the "AD" is necessary above ... work uses Windows group
> policies and we definitely don't do AD. Given the amount of alcohol
> consumed, and the amount of head banging against walls that goes on with
> that part of the team, I'm glad I'm not involved except for ...
>
> > > Not all Windows applications use things like network settings and
> > > other managed resources, so how do you handle them?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by 'network settings' here,

"network settings" in Windows is a global set of network properties that
any application can query and use.  I would imagine it can be controlled
by group policy.

I've been in UNIX shops that had just about everything fully configured
from central servers and it worked pretty well.

Now that so much is outside of traditional X resource and hidden
metafile control, it is more difficult.

Of course the ultimate is to just have everyone on big servers and only
X displays on their desk.  It's easier to manage a small set of servers
with all user data than hundreds->thousands of individual desktops.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]