[geeks] Subversion, two weeks of usage

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Sep 2 13:36:37 CDT 2006

Sat, 26 Aug 2006 @ 18:54 -0400, Robert Brooke Gravitt said:

> I'd be surprised if someone recommended it, as it's been EOL for
> years.

That's not true.  Serena still sells PVCS, runs ads for it, etc.

They even claim "Pro 9 leads in source code management".

Dimensions, from the blurbs on their website, looks more like a high
level change management system that is more about overall project
documentation and tracking.

At least, that's how it reads to me.

Their site seems to be tailored to suits: lot's of vague "industry
leading" benefits without the annoying details.

Serena also sells Changeman.

Their website does a bad job of telling you exactly what the differences
are between their products.

> Serena ( was Merant ) sells a completely re-written version  called
> Dimensions. It's sweet.  PVCS wasn't.

Serena also sells PVCS, and makes the claim that it is the leading SCM.

> Haven't had the pleasure of using Subversion yet, but hoping to find
> some time to check it out.

It's pretty nice.

It's totall SCM, and that's it, which is why I like it.

I don't generally like tools that try to manage your projects, as
usually there just isn't enough flexibility.

Subversion has a documented API and hooks that let you build pretty much
whatever you want on top.

I'm wondering if any commercial vendors will try to take advantage of
that.

Not much has so far even in open source, just a few tools.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [governorrhea: a contagious disease that
spreads from the governor of a state downward through other offices and his