[geeks] [hubert at feyrer.de: Re: DVD based backup software]

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Sep 2 13:58:00 CDT 2006

Sat, 02 Sep 2006 @ 01:53 +0200, Sebastian Jaenicke said:

> FYI - Hubert is the author of the g4u software. As he isn't
> a list subscriber, please Cc: him with on-topic replies.

I meant to on that last reply.  Feel free to send it to him.

I'm replying again because I also forgot to include a note about another
program related to g4u.

> [about g4u sucking]
> > It might run faster with something like Larry McVoy's dd, or another
> > variation which reads and write more intelligently.
>
> I'd like to hear more about that dd implementation that 'reads and writes
> more intelligently'. What is 'intelligent'?

Reading and writing in parallel, often also with buffering, and perhaps
with multiple threads/processes to try and gain speed.  Most dd
implementations do read/write/read/write in even sequence, not in
parallel.

Also, a lot of the probelm with g4u seems to be networking, though it
remains slow disk-to-disk as well.

For what it is worth, I have heard that Ghost4Linux is faster, some
claim a whole lot faster.

I have not tried it so I can't comment on that one.  I think I will next
time I need a tool like that.

I do still use g4u now and then, but mostly only when I can just start
it and leave it running.

Sometimes I don't bother at all, finding a full bootstrap procedure
faster than ghosting.  Depends on what all needs to be done.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]