[geeks] Solaris 10 U2 Sparc Problem.... openssl linkage to pkgadd.

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 01:55:01 CDT 2006

On 26 Oct 2006, at 14:54, Miichael Vergalen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just come across a small problem with solaris 10 that I couldn't
> report to sun because I don't have a contract nr...the problem quite
> minor but can couse a lot of havoc on a system. Namely if you try to
> update openssl from the 0.9.7 to 0.9.8d and think you can just
> uninstall
> the openssh packages suplied by sun becuase the are in a so called non
> vital directory /usr/sfw/  it breaks pkgadd becuase pkgadd is
> dynamicly
> linked to the openssl-library package. I personaly think that
> openssl-library should then either be placed in /usr/lib or be linked
> staticly to pkgadd. I've managed to recover the system by removing all
> the zones and rcovering from tape backup but I think it should not be
> happening.
>
> Could someone please send this on to sun ...

FWIW, during my extensive research on integrating OSS libs into
Solaris 10, I did learn Sunn are trying to move away from statically
linked libs to dynamically linked ones, for whatever reasons,
probably to increase the system's flexibility.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>
68kMac.org:
<http://www.68kmac.org>

"Introducing Macintosh Classic II - pick one out on your way past the
trash!"