[geeks] electric cars

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Oct 23 19:58:13 CDT 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:34:16 -0400 (EDT)
adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker) wrote:

> " From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> "
> "
> " Alcohol... mileage and power are reduced, but given the relative
> price " we might not really care about that.  It can be made from
> recent " biomass too.
>
> didja know the current price of bulk alcohol is over $5/gal?  now that
> mtbe is out, it's in very short supply as a gasoline additive.

Didja know that this is because it isn't produced as a common vehicle
fuel right now?

> electrics won't last any longer than current cars, on salty winter
> roads.

Why not?

The biggest reason cited for vehicle replacement is drivetrain failure.

> you might reduce pollution, as power plants are more efficient than
> car engines and easier to fit really bulky emissions control eq
> equipment to, but you can't eliminate co2 pollution if you don't move
> to a biofuel and make it a zero-sum equation.

They should be more efficient, but there is a lot of transmission and
charging loss in the equation for large numbers of electric cars.

We are also near peak power in many areas.

Of course, that's yet another problem we know how to solve if we just
would.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny." --
Unknown]