[geeks] electric cars

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Oct 23 14:34:16 CDT 2006

" From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" Alcohol... mileage and power are reduced, but given the relative price
" we might not really care about that.  It can be made from recent
" biomass too.

didja know the current price of bulk alcohol is over $5/gal?  now that
mtbe is out, it's in very short supply as a gasoline additive.

" That's one thing in favor of the all electrics... they should be pretty
" easy to repair and maintain, and also upgrade.
"
" That last part... that's something the auto makers will not like.  An
" electric car, well built, could last a very long time.  Not only that,
" but given that electric system improvements don't require huge changes
" to the chassis, your old electric car need not be an underperforming
" dog either.

electrics won't last any longer than current cars, on salty winter
roads.

" Of course, as I said before, I'm not really sure that electric cars
" solve the pollution problem.  Power plants are heavy polluters, there
" is a dependency issue, and batteries are heavy polluters too.

you might reduce pollution, as power plants are more efficient than
car engines and easier to fit really bulky emissions control eq
equipment to, but you can't eliminate co2 pollution if you don't move
to a biofuel and make it a zero-sum equation.