[geeks] electric cars

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Mon Oct 23 14:48:05 CDT 2006

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " It can be a bad idea in more way than one:
> "
> " * if enough people do it the g-man says "where's my tax money?". I think
> " some folks in the UK have gone through that...
>
> yes, they have.  they're claiming that since they're making their own
> fuel it shouldn't be taxable...

On roads that are (supposed to be) paid for by fuel taxes...

> " * french-fry oil might be OK in indirect injection or mechanical
> " injection (or electronically-controlled mechanical injection) setups but
> " it wreaks havoc on modern stuff with a common-rail fuel system. There
> " are some things you just shouldn't pressurize to 22,000+ PSI
>
> what's the difficulty?  i haven't seen anything in my trolls of
> biodiesel sites.

I should say *used* vegetable oil aka WVO, not SVO. Not that I would use
it either way...

It's got lots of impurities that can act in unpredictable ways @ 22kpsi.

Quite a bit different than the 50psi fuel systems in a 80's vintage
Mercedes.

'sidies, these concerns are separate from what 100% bio does to some
engines (clogs injectors in Caterpillar diesels, reportedly turns
injectors in Cummins diesels into blowtorches, fuel pump damage), even
when the fuel is properly made.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com