[geeks] bridging networks with wireless

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Oct 23 11:33:42 CDT 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:48:35 -0400
Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> Mon, 16 Oct 2006 @ 16:10 -0400, Nadine said:
>
> > On 10/16/06, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> > > I want to move to eliminating a server or PC as a wireless router.
> > [...]
> > > One of the Sun machines is my primary gateway, so it could handle
> > > routing without much problem.
> >
> > I have a Linksys Wireless bridge that also has a 5-port switch.
> > It's an earlier version of the current WET54G.  You could simply
> > plug a second interface of the Sun into it, since it's already your
> > gateway, and set up the routing tables.  It's a bit pricey (~$80
> > now), but I've had no issues, and mine includes traffic shaping
> > functionality.

I meant to ask... those WAN routers that say they will also function as
an extender or additional access point... will they also work as a
bridge?

Sometimes you can find them cheaper than the ones that say "wireless
bridge" on the box.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Tara is grass, and behold how Troy lieth
low--And even the English, perchance their hour will come!"]