[geeks] bridging networks with wireless

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Oct 18 23:05:02 CDT 2006

Wed, 18 Oct 2006 @ 22:10 +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:

> I wrote: > > Note that at those frequencies polarization is important,
> the angle of > > the antenna should match that of the transmitter
> (router, AP).
>
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 02:55:04PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix
> wrote:
>
> > That's interesting, because I get the best signal if I do the exact
> > opposite.
>
> The difference is significant, well over 20db. You may be receiving a
> reflection.

I didn't realize it was that much difference for 802 stuff.

There is a large cable bundle coming out of the PC, and it seems best if
the antennae points away from that. I assumed the interference from the
PC was negating the benefits of matching orientation.

The extender on this wireless card is very short, and so the antennae
clears the case by no more than about a half inch. It is just a cheap
one that plugs into the external port.

In fact is is rather hard to put it straight up.

> It may also be that although the antenna is vertical, the signal
> is horizontaly polarized. Slot antennas, which are common in TV
> transmission are vertical, but the signal from them is horizontaly
> polarized, which is why you see TV antennas laying flat.

These should all be vertical, except for a laptop which has a USB
wireless adapter. No idea what it is inside.

The base unit has two antennae. I set the WLAN up and put the antennae
both straight up. Good signal, but my PC had trouble. One up one 90
degrees seemed better.

However, the base has been moved to a better location now so I might
try changing things again.

I hope soon to have my wireless access through a black box and I can set
the antenna up free and clear.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The strength of the Constitution lies
entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it.  Only if every