[geeks] graphics tablet

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Oct 19 16:39:29 CDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 05:31:38PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> I couldn't make PhotoShop do that either on Irix.  Wow, that was a long
> time ago.  Talk about an expensive photo editor... :)

It could have been worse.  You could have been trying to use Matador
paint.  Or Amazon Paint.  Or Studio Tools.

> Hollywood has a lot of nice Linux software, including modified versions
> of The Gimp with greater color support and workflow helpers. There are
> other packages like Nuke (a 2d/3d compositor) and things like that which
> would be fun to play with.

Shake on Linux would be cool to have, but the price is $50k (for 5000
seats and the complete source code).  Shake on OSX, OTOH, is $500.

Other nifty Linux software would be Flint or Flame (Flint started at
$90k, but I heard a report of there soon being a 17% price cut).  Want
nice video editing on Linux?  Try smoke (I think that started at $80k).
Baselight might be nice to try (no idea of pricing).

More realistically, I was recently talking to an editor who was trying to
use cinelerra for HDV editing.  I think he said it basically worked, but
that he was having trouble getting his second 23" monitor to function on
a Nvidia card.  He wasn't a Linux guy at all.

Personally, I haven't found more affordable Linux tools to be all that
great.  The Gimp is pretty impressive, but no where near as nice as
Photoshop (even the Elements edition).  Jahshaka is useless.  Cinellera
might be OK, but unlike a lot of stuff, it won't run on anything I own.
Kino is embarrassing.  Ffmpeg at least is pretty good and getting rapidly
better if you stick to CVS versions.  On the audio front things are much
cheerier, especially in what hardware is supported.

> I would like to get Cinepaint up and running (Hollywood's version of The
> Gimp), but had poor luck getting it compiled.  Actually, I think the
> project might have been renamed Glasgow.  Can't remember.

Cinepaint is stuck with GTK 1.2.  They decided to completely redo the
program from the ground up.  The next generation project is called
Glasgow.  They plan to use FLTK for everything.  As far as I know there
isn't anything really functional yet, but I could be mistaken.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/