[geeks] graphics tablet

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Oct 19 16:31:38 CDT 2006

Thu, 19 Oct 2006 @ 10:24 -0400, Joshua Boyd said:

> I've used a couple different models of serial wacom tablets with Linux.
> USB is supposed to work as well.  I believe that support (at least for
> serial units) is a X issue rather than an OS issue.

I think the X problems is mostly worked out now, as is kernel HID
support (USB interface standard).

> When last I did that, running Debian, I then had to recompile GTK for
> Xinput support, and then recompile the gimp against the new GTK.  The
> tablet would work, but the gimp couldn't use presure sentitivity or
> understand that the eraser was different from the tip without it.
> Hopefully some distributions would have the major toolkits compiled with
> Xinput support by default by now.  Back when I did it, recompiling GTK
> wasn't hard as it was back in the 1.x days.  It looks much more painful
> to have to recompile it now.

Probably, but I am hoping that support for alternate input is part of
the builds now.  I know it is for some distributions.

> BTW, I could never get the Gimp on Irix or Windows to support presure.
> Apparently GTK on windows doesn't support windows presure support, and
> while Gtk on irix is supposed to support the irix xserver's input
> extensions, I couldn't get it figure out.

I couldn't make PhotoShop do that either on Irix.  Wow, that was a long
time ago.  Talk about an expensive photo editor... :)

Hollywood has a lot of nice Linux software, including modified versions
of The Gimp with greater color support and workflow helpers. There are
other packages like Nuke (a 2d/3d compositor) and things like that which
would be fun to play with.

I would like to get Cinepaint up and running (Hollywood's version of The
Gimp), but had poor luck getting it compiled.  Actually, I think the
project might have been renamed Glasgow.  Can't remember.

http://www.cinepaint.org

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I want this Perl software checked for
viruses.  Use Norton Antivirus." -- Charlie Kirkpatrick]