[geeks] this is where the mac should be

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Tue Oct 17 16:46:32 CDT 2006

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>>> Dell does the same thing.  They call it the "revolver" (apparently
>>> aimed straight at vendor's heads).  They issue multiple purchase
>>> orders per day for popular items like hard drives, so that they only
>>> have say 2 hours of inventory on hand.
>> You can see it in system consistency, too.  Order a batch of 80-sometime
>> Optiplexes, and you'll see at least three designs of power supplies,
>> hard drives from multiple vendors, memory from different companies, etc.
>
> What a godawful way to run a business.  I wonder if Dell even knows
> which machines got which parts, in the event of a recall?

It's a great way to run a business. Inventory costs money in taxes and
overhead.  The less you have on-hand the better.  You know this of course.

It might be a lousy way to build quality computers - but that's not
really Dell's niche either.

It is also somewhat hard on one's temper when the system that they use
to track what is going where fails in the middle of the day but that's
why we get the big bucks.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Remember.
But move forward, too. Light a candle, yes. But also drive a rivet.
~Lileks