[geeks] this is where the mac should be

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 14:16:25 CDT 2006

On 10/17/06, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> >
> >> What a godawful way to run a business.  I wonder if Dell even knows
> >> which machines got which parts, in the event of a recall?
> >
> > Dell doesn't know; they mass-email all their customers and ask them to
> > check serial numbers on specific components.  At least, that's what
> > happened with the battery recall.
>
> That's a rolling clusterfuck -- and possible class-action lawsuit --
> waiting to happen.

Apple is able to match serial number ranges on components to
manufacturing date ranges.  I am quite sure they did not send out
email recall notices to all Powerbook purchases.  Oddly enough, based
on the news reports, I was fairly sure my own PB was not in the range,
but when I received the email and checked my battery serial number, it
fell under the recall.  I never noticed the battery getting hot, but
sent it back anyway as a precaution.  (Of course, I don't leave my
battery in when the computer is on AC power--I only do that when the
battery actually needs charging.)

I expected it to be at least 6 weeks to receive the new one, since the
stated window was 4-8 weeks, but the replacement came in just over 3.
They included a new shipping label, so all I had to do was drain the
old battery, stuff it in the same box, tape, and drop at the post
office.  It was less hassle than most of the rebates I've filled out,
outside of the PO trip.

=Nadine=