[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Mar 28 18:47:32 CST 2006

" From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
"
" On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:49:17 -0500 (EST)
" nate at portents.com wrote:
"
" > How bad is HP-UX?
" I had a look into 10.20. It is strange, weird, neither fish nor flesh,
" ... I never felt "at home". I never got used to it. IRIX or Tru64 have
" there own weirdnes, but I got acclimatised to it.

i haven't had the pleasure of irix or aix, but i have done [more or
less in order] sVr3, sunos4, solaris, hp-ux 9 & 10, unixware 7, and
tru64.  i now have osx and redhat to play with.

i didn't have time to learn hp-ux as deeply as i know solaris, but it
wasn't that hard.

" Tru64 is almost dead, killed by HP.
"
" IRIX is doomed to die and already in agony. It lacks features in the
" networking area. The latest Freeware from SGI is nearly two years old
" and I don't expect a new IRIX freeware set at all. IRIX is stagnating
" and it starts to collect dust.
"
" []
"
" > Is HP-UX bad, or is it simply so marginalized
" > that it's a pain to use because there's not much of a hobbyist
" > community out there and HP could care less about UNIX on PA-RISC at
" > this point?
" HP wants you to go Itanic - or Windows on ia32. They wane get rid of
" that old PA-RISC nad Alpha "crap".

this is sadly true, the destruction of two good architectures for one
huge steaming pile of ****.

it sounded good when itanic was in the planning stage, but to say the
least it hasn't lived up to expectations.

" And yes, there are not that many hobbyists out there that run HPsUX
" for the fun of it.  I don't know of a site like e.g. nekochan for HPsUX.

see below.

" > > The other problem with
" > > Linux is GCC. To my experience GCC produces quite bad and slow
" > > PA-RISC code. So some of the CPU performance is lost due to
" > > inefficient binaries.
" > I could believe that, but wouldn't using HP's compilers in HP-UX mean
" > having to port opensource applications over rather than just
" > recompile? Doesn't seem worth it to me if that's the case.
" As already mentioned: The system compiler is K&R. All you can use it for
" is linking a new kernel effectively. You should also take in mind that
" it is often a major PITA to compile Linuxish GNUware with a non-GCC
" compiler. The more fun you get if you do it on a big endian or 64 bit
" platform. Been there with MIPSpro on IRIX and the DEC compilers on
" Tru64... Compiling everything your own is irrealistic. These days you
" have so many dependencies that it will drive you insane if you wane
" fight it without some automation like pkgsrc.

you can get gcc for hp-ux, and a lot of other freeware at
http://hpux.csc.liv.ac.uk/hppd/hpux/alpha.html

it was originally a mirror of hpux.csc.liv.ac.uk, but csc doesn't seem
to be responding.