[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Mar 28 13:23:38 CST 2006

" From: nate at portents.com
"
" How bad is HP-UX?  The way folks talk about it here, it sounds pretty bad.
"  I've been a Solaris admin, worked with IRIX, and run Mac OS X, NetBSD,
" and Linux at home (Windows for games, and older mothballed machines for
" running NeXTSTEP 3.3 on 680x0, PA-RISC and SPARC).  In college I did some
" VMS support.  Is HP-UX bad, or is it simply so marginalized that it's a
" pain to use because there's not much of a hobbyist community out there and
" HP could care less about UNIX on PA-RISC at this point?

i supported 9.04 and 10.20 while helping $work migrate to 10.20.
i found 9 a little odd, being a bsd heavily modified to sVid
compliance[0], but 10 was considerably different and rather like
solaris.  i didn't find it outstandingly better or worse.

one thing they did i really liked: besides the normal ksh, they threw
the compile-time posix switch, built a static binary, and installed it
as /sbin/sh.  there was no 'pure' bourne shell.  presto - no more
root-shell-choice aggro!  we did have to explicitly turn history and
cmdline editing on in the /.profile, though.

[0] it was full of little hp oddities as well, like a custom ip
protocol for sharing disks to diskless clusters where everyone else
uses nfs.