[geeks] What desk toy or "tchotchke" says "geek" to you?

Steve Haavik shaavik at soc.lib.md.us
Tue Mar 28 07:57:00 CST 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Dan Sikorski wrote:

> I miss good depth perception, i haven't had it for many years.  Anyone
> know of a good website has information about lasik?  I think i need to
> go find a good place to have it done...

I got my eyes done last year and I'm still getting used to not having
glasses anymore (reaching for them in the morning, before I realize I can
actaully see and stuff like that.) I used this place
http://www.lasikplus.com/ because the eye exam was free and it's 2 minutes
from where I live and I got a life-time warrenty (they'll fix my eyes for
me as I get older.) I fully expected that they would tell me they couldn't
do it. The only problem I've had is my eyes are a lot more sensitive to
light now. Being able to navigate the house at night with the lights off
without bumping into walls or stepping on the cat is very nice, but bright
lights while driving at night can be painful now.

I know someone else that got her eyes done at the same place a couple
weeks before me that did have problems. From what I understand she had one
of the other procedures though. I had the one where they cut the cornea
away from the eye and laser the inside surface of the cornea. She had the
old less accurate procedure where they take it from the outside. I think
she ended up having to have them redo one of her eyes after it healed
enough. Of course now they say they have even better lasers...