[geeks] What desk toy or "tchotchke" says "geek" to you?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 09:10:32 CST 2006

Steve Haavik wrote:
>> I miss good depth perception, i haven't had it for many years.  Anyone
>> know of a good website has information about lasik?  I think i need to
>> go find a good place to have it done...
>
> I got my eyes done last year and I'm still getting used to not having
> glasses anymore (reaching for them in the morning, before I realize I can
> actaully see and stuff like that.) I used this place
> http://www.lasikplus.com/ because the eye exam was free and it's 2 minutes
> from where I live and I got a life-time warrenty (they'll fix my eyes for
> me as I get older.) I fully expected that they would tell me they couldn't
> do it. The only problem I've had is my eyes are a lot more sensitive to
> light now. Being able to navigate the house at night with the lights off
> without bumping into walls or stepping on the cat is very nice, but bright
> lights while driving at night can be painful now.

I'm definitely also more light sensitive.  I now own my first real pair
of sunglasses.  8-)  I've also learned to look at the fog-line on roads
at night instead of into the headlights like I used to.

> I know someone else that got her eyes done at the same place a couple
> weeks before me that did have problems. From what I understand she had one
> of the other procedures though. I had the one where they cut the cornea
> away from the eye and laser the inside surface of the cornea. She had the
> old less accurate procedure where they take it from the outside. I think
> she ended up having to have them redo one of her eyes after it healed
> enough. Of course now they say they have even better lasers...

I also got the flap operation done.  My eyes were bad enough that the
non-flap operation wasn't an option.  I also had it done with the fancy
eye-tracking laser with computerized cornea mapping.

Peace...  Sridhar