[geeks] What desk toy or "tchotchke" says "geek" to you?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 06:42:19 CST 2006

Dan Sikorski wrote:
>> In what way do your eyes malfunction?
>>
>> I had moderately bad nearsightedness (-5.5 and -6.0) and bad astigmatism
>> (+2.5 and +1.25 with two different angles) and now my vision is better
>> than 20/20.  On good days, better than 20/15.
>>
>> I see better than I did with my glasses.  The thing that took a *lot* of
>> getting used to is having depth perception.  The astigmatism correction
>> in my glasses kept me from seeing depth.  Now I can tell how far
>> oncoming cars are and things like that.  I can catch a softball.  It's
>> the first time since I was about six years old.
>>

> I miss good depth perception, i haven't had it for many years.  Anyone
> know of a good website has information about lasik?  I think i need to
> go find a good place to have it done...

I don't know of any website that has the information better than any of
the others.

The one recommendation I can make is to not go price shopping.  Find a
reputable ophthalmologist to perform the procedure, and not an
optometrist.  Optometrists are now allowed to perform the procedure, but
if something were to go wrong, they would not be able to correct it.

Peace...   Sridhar