[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Mar 27 19:09:47 CST 2006

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 06:56:02PM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
> > The MPAA controls content creation tools?
>
> No, but Abode has nearly a monopoly on the consumer/prosumer market for
> content creation.  They like to play ball with the MPAA.

They do?  Adobe has a near monopoly on paint, vector graphics
(Photoshop, Illustrator, and Freehand), and whatever you call Flash and
PDF (there are an increasing number of flash and PDF creation programs,
but they certainly have a solid lock on the players).  Past that, I
can't think of them as having a monopoly in any of their other major
business areas.  Premeire and After Effects certainly are no where close
to monopoly status.  Neither is Audition or Encore.

> > That's news to me.  See that there is a growing volume of tools on
> > linux, I don't see how the MPAA is likely to have much effect there.
>
> Ah, and they account for how much market share?  0.1% on a particularly
> optimistic day?

I think that linux is probably a lot larger than 0.1% for content
creation.  Sure, you don't have every half-assed flash designer using
it, but you do have large numbers of Shake and Maya users, along
with a growing number of Autodesk Arts and Media users, Houdini users,
Baselight users, Bones users, Mystika users, Iridas users, Nucoda users,
etc.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net