[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Mar 27 23:24:46 CST 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>>> That's news to me.  See that there is a growing volume of tools on
>>> linux, I don't see how the MPAA is likely to have much effect there.
>>
>> Ah, and they account for how much market share?  0.1% on a
>> particularly optimistic day?
>
> I think that linux is probably a lot larger than 0.1% for content
> creation.  Sure, you don't have every half-assed flash designer using
> it, but you do have large numbers of Shake and Maya users, along with
> a growing number of Autodesk Arts and Media users, Houdini users,
> Baselight users, Bones users, Mystika users, Iridas users, Nucoda
> users, etc.

You know what?  Nevermind.

Linux is obviously going to take over the world Real Soon Now[0], and we
should all just embrace TPM because it'll never be used for anything
bad.  I mean, it says "trusted" right in it's name.  How could it be
anything bad?  We're all trust-worthy, right?

In fact, since it's obviously going to be so impotent, we need MORE
digital restrictions management.  I want some random component of my
computer to self-destruct every time I put something on the clipboard
without asking for permission.  In fact, if I even THINK about
downloading something illegal, I want my computer to deliver a 480V
potential difference between my nostrils and backside so that I Won't Do
That Again.  I want my computer to treat me like a criminal and only let
me do things that the manufacturer says I can because I'm a corporate
media whore and I wouldn't want board members of Paramount or New Line
to pinch pennies to save up for this months's new Mercedes.

In fact, let's just do away with the computers; they only exist for
pirating music and software and movies, anyway (or we wouldn't need
TPM).  I want a box that projects Hollywood shit DIRECTLY ONTO MY
RETINAS and sucks money right out of my bank account every second of my
waking life.  That way, I can eat, sleep, work, shit, shower, shave, and
breathe to feed the corporate media machine.  I can be a mere receptable
and cum-dumpster for the garbage spewed out under the guise of
"entertainment", and, as soon as my bank account runs dry, they can KILL
ME because I'm no-longer useful to the honest and well-meaning folks
that would put equipment inside my computer to make it no-longer mine,
because God knows we'd never do anything USEFUL with our computers that
someone with the keys to TPM might not "trust".

And of course, they'd do it all running Linux.  Yeah, baby.

[0] Because obviously every independent film and home movie is rendered
     with CG done in Maya, effects added in Shake, with captured footage
     stitched in with Fire, all bought at CompUSA running on a Linux box
     ordered directly from Dell or Gateway.  Pah!  I bet no one outside
     of this geeky list has even -heard- of Adobe!  And, fuck, who uses
     Windows or Mac OS, anyway?  The probably have, like, 2% marketshare
     combined.  Everyone uses Linux for everything, which is why it comes
     preinstalled on all new computers and why every piece of A/V
     hardware that connects to a computer ships with Linux[1] drivers.
[1] Which (incompatible) flavor of Linux?  All of them!  They all have
     to work because EVERYONE uses Linux for digital content creation!
     What, didn't you get the memo?  EVERYONE!
--
Jonathan Patschke     )       Apple MacBook Pro
Elgin, TX            (     Now with Intel Core Duo