[geeks] What desk toy or "tchotchke" says "geek" to you?

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Mon Mar 27 16:30:01 CST 2006

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> I would certainly hope so... In my experience (mostly gained from sitting on the couch and popular media outlets), the UN is a pure "after the fact" organization - they do not defend, they "peace keep", and in the places they are most-likely deployed, they are confined to acting in a very quaint and proper manner, much to the delight of their opponents...

I know of an incident in which UN "peacekeepers" were jeeringly stripped
of their arms, body armor, and uniforms by a superior force of Serbian
militia troops after being ordered by UN higher command to admit to said
Serbian militia that no, actually they did NOT have authorization to
engage in combat or to return fire if fired upon.  They were then forced
to watch while the Serbians donned their UN uniforms and, disguised as
peacekeepers, rounded up and massacred most of the inhabitants of the
Bosnian village they were supposedly tasked to "protect".