[geeks] The mighty fighting men of the UN Peacekeepers

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Mar 28 22:48:07 CST 2006

Mon, 27 Mar 2006 @ 17:30 -0500, Phil Stracchino said:

> I know of an incident in which UN "peacekeepers" were jeeringly stripped
> of their arms, body armor, and uniforms by a superior force of Serbian
> militia troops after being ordered by UN higher command to admit to said
> Serbian militia that no, actually they did NOT have authorization to
> engage in combat or to return fire if fired upon.  They were then forced
> to watch while the Serbians donned their UN uniforms and, disguised as
> peacekeepers, rounded up and massacred most of the inhabitants of the
> Bosnian village they were supposedly tasked to "protect".

I have to marvel at any organization that would send troops into combat
but then tell them not to open fire.

But then if you remember in Somalia, UN troops did absolutely nothing of
note, despite at times having quite a bit of firepower.

Meanwhile warlords right next door were murdering people by the thousands.

Then the US troops went in and needed help, and the UN refused to leave
their little fortress.

Calling UN troops "peacekeepers" is like saying water is the same as gasoline.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The grieving lords take ship.  With these
our very souls pass overseas." -- Exile]