[geeks] AOpen makes SPARC notebooks?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Mar 24 21:08:07 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 05:31:30PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Fri, 24 Mar 2006 @ 14:17 -0500, der Mouse said:
>> All my own machines run rather old NetBSD - 1.4T, dating from
>> February 2000.  (That's approximately when it became inescapable to
>> me that NetBSD was no longer interested (if they ever were) in being
>> the sort of system I really want to run.  I still run it because I
>> haven't found anything closer yet.)
>
> What has happened with NetBSD development that you don't like?

It's getting bigger and more bloated, in some people's opinion.  Adding
stuff like PAM, more sysv-ish rc scripts, and other stuff that bothers
others a bit more than bothers me.  It is posible to build it w/o a lot
of the stuff they don't like.

> It's still my favorite of the PC UNIX, even though it doesn't have the
> hardware support of Linux right now, and I use it on SPARC instead of
> Solaris in most cases.

Very soon, my only Linux boxes will be embeded stuff (TiVo, WRT54G,
etc).

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org