[geeks] Color laser printers?

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Mon Mar 20 20:52:51 CST 2006

Michael C. Vergallen wrote:
> William Enestvedt wrote:
>

>>I know I may well get flamed for asking this, but does anyone have a
>>small (cheap!) color laser printer that they can recommend?
>>
>>  A guy in the business told me that Oki makes a nice one -- the 5200,
>>I think -- and he mentioned one or two others -- Canon, maybe -- but he
>>spoke out against the low end of HP's product line.
>
> The best sollution in my opinion is the HP 4500N series  printer  not to
> expensive  if you get one  second  hand  ( ex  demo ).  They sell  for
> about  200-400 Euro. The lower end printers have the usual problem  e.i.
> no cpu & low memory.

The last company I worked at had a HP LJ4500N.  There's no denying the
output was very nice.  However, people that I knew who'd worked there
longer than I had and were in a position to know told me that it was
rather slow, and that the toner was very expensive because the 4500 and
8500 printers had basically a one-off custom engine that was not
compatible with anything else on the planet.

I haven't ever verified the accuracy of the latter assertion, but my
personal impression is that it's a very nice printer and that I'd love
to trade in my LaserJet 4M Plus on a Laserjet 4500DN.