[geeks] Solaris x86 "partitions" question

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 16:24:09 CST 2006

Anyone out there have a good understanding of Solaris' handling of x86
partitions?  I have this kind of hacked up disk (thanks to the IT
weenies here)...

Anyway, originally it had two primaries: one for 'doze and one for user data.

I shrank 'doze down and put Solaris on there.  I'd like to take a
512MB slice of the user data area and add it to swap, as well as
(pie-in-the-sky) mount the user data slice (I realize it may not be
possible if it's NTFS, but I don't remember at the moment).

What is not clear to me is how I get Solaris to "see" the other
partitions. I already fdisk'd out for swap--that's partition 4.  When
I fire up format, all that is visible is c0d0, which comprises the
main solaris partition.  SMC also only shows c0d0.

Cluebats to Sun doco URLs are a perfectly reasonable response, I just
don't know how to frame the search in Sunsolve, and google isn't
turning up anything either.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed thus far with Solaris 10 x86 on
this laptop.  I figured it would be a kinda kludgy, but it's quiet
snappy, considering I haven't gotten around to switching the chunky
crayon mode "Java Desktop" for a slim X windows manager yet.
1.7Ghz Intel (HP 6220) with 512MB RAM.  I don't know the video specs.

=Nadine=