[geeks] Wanted: SCSI disks for HP Netserver

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Fri Jun 23 02:26:17 CDT 2006

With all that talk of SCSI disks and PIII Servers, I have to ask if somebody has any disk units (tray/canister + drive) and/or empty-bay plugs for an HP Netserver LH3000 lying around and would like to get rid of those for postage + x... Location Europe, preferably Germany.

I recently acquired one of those servers from University, but they removed all hotswap drives as spares for the machines they're keeping. Mine has only one drive frame (6x SCA) installed yet, but I saw another carcass in the basement where I could perhaps get a second from.

Also some questions regarding the configuration of that server:
-From manual: "You can mount the third power supply in slot 3 or 4."
I'm not actually going to depend on redundant power supplies, but can I stick supplies in *all four* slots (I could get additional ones from the gutted machine) without having detrimental effects - perhaps even distributing the load better for less heat and wear? Or am I better off keeping the additional supplies as cold spares, only putting them in when an old one dies?

-The manual does not give any information about the twin fan modules behind the power supplies; a picture inside the case seems to say "Install two modules in slots A and B, single module in slot A only, never single module in slot B only!" They are mounted directly one behind the other (air has to flow through both). If I install a second one (which I'd also have to rip from the box in storage), will they be running all the time (thus turning even more power into noise) or will one be kept cold spare until the other one fails?

Thanks in advance,

--
Arno Kletzander
Stud. Hilfskraft Informatik Sammlung Erlangen

Echte DSL-Flatrate dauerhaft f|r 0,- Euro*!