[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jun 24 00:27:19 CDT 2006

Fri, 23 Jun 2006 @ 16:53 -0500, Chad McAuley said:

> On 6/23/06, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> >

> > The latest marketing information from Microsoft says that games will be
> > a lot faster under Windows Vista.
> >

> Given that the display engine/display driver model has been seriously
> overhauled since XP, I'm definitely willing to entertain the possibility
> that this is true.  I haven't installed any games in Vista B2 yet, so I
> dont' have any first hand experience with how it performs.  I may have to do
> some testing this weekend.

Well, my thoughts were based on the fact that Vista seems to be a hog,
even when just sitting idle at a freshly booted desktop.

> a sweat.  I was upgrading the RAM in the linux box the other day, and I
> noticed that the fan had burned up and died on this card as well.  Now, the
> first one I can understand, because the card was flaky to begin with and I
> did quite a bit of gaming.  But this thing shouldn't have been generating
> nearly enough heat to kill the fan.

It has nothing to do with heat.

For some reason, video card manufacturers can't be bothered with decent
fans.

I have some MSI and Asus cards that are pretty reliable, but their fans
are going bad just 2 years in.

Of course, I can buy a very nice fan for them that should last a long
time, but its pretty stupid to have to buy an aftermarket fan when the
original need not be such a chintzy POS.

Go into any CompUSA, and one of their bigger product displays is
replacement fans.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak
is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime