[geeks] Oracle dbs on Sun T2000?

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Fri Jun 23 10:05:06 CDT 2006

More info, if anyone's still reading:
   I'd recommend the cool threads servers for any multi-user DB.  The
processors (or cores I guess, each core is treated like a processor by
the OS) are individually slower than other current Sun offerings, but
you get more processors for your money.

   Basically each core can take over a process without slowing things
down. That means you will not see the effects of high load as quickly as
you might on a system with fewer processors.

   I found the T2000 8 core significantly better than the SunFire V440s
we currently have which retail for about 50% more $.  The T1000 has
similar specs but less redundancy (only 1 power supply) but should
perform comparably.

   It sounds like you've already found my blog, but in case you haven't
here is my review on the performance of the T2000:

www.lifeaftercoffee.com/2006/05/08/sun-fire-t2000-vs-sun-fire-v440/

   Just one guy's two cents, but he uses our applicaiton and OS, so it
was just what i was looking for.

   I ordered a couple as application & web servers; perhaps I will try
one out as a low-traffic (DEV) database server this summer, too. Sun's
selling these systems wicked cheap to .edu -- so why not?  :7)

-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator