[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jun 16 09:15:19 CDT 2006

Thu, 15 Jun 2006 @ 15:59 -0500, Micah R Ledbetter said:

> On Jun 15, 2006, at 15:22, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Yes, ebay is slow, and also uses very inefficient HTML which puts a
> > high
> > load on the browser.
>
> I know :(. That is what I truly hate about ebay... loading three or
> more pages concurrently kills the whole fucking system. Meh.
> (OTOH, I get too much good stuff there, and the only viable
> alternative is craigslist, which is great for some things and truly
> sucky for others)

Craigslist... most of the stuff listed there is total crap, and the
interface sucks.

But yeah, once in awhile you see good stuff.

It's just that vast majority of people using it are clueless.

> > Most of the tools are for sniping of course, but some of them are
> > pretty good general auction tools.
>
> Maybe they'll make a tool for just browsing ebay so you don't have to
> use their web shitfulness. Ha.

I'm not sure... even if ebay has a defined HTTP API, I think any tool
still has to load the full page and parse it.  I guess that means less
load than a browser though.

> The thing that I DO like about ebay, though, is that you can
> subscribe to RSS feeds for searches. That beats their shitty
> interface and computer-killing site any day.

How do you do that?  I don't see an RSS link anywhere.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.