[geeks] Managed Switch pointers...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 15 10:53:30 CDT 2006

Hello all,

I find myself wanting to have some Gigabit Ethernet ports around the house, and I've seen some attractive prices on Netgear 10 port MANAGED switches ($180) and 16 port UNMANAGED switches ($160) at justdeals.com (refurbs, but I trust the vendor, bought from them many times before)... Any reasonable alternatives?

If I hook all my machines that have Gigabit ports together right now, I could occupy about 5-6 ports, but I expect that I will accumulate more machines with Gigabit ports inthe next 12-24 months, so 10 ports seems the minimum, and 16 seems like a good top-end solution.

I'd like to keep the cost under $200, but I'd also like something worth deploying - any pointers?

Lionel