[geeks] Managed Switch pointers...

Tom Borton tom at borton.info
Thu Jun 15 20:44:41 CDT 2006

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I find myself wanting to have some Gigabit Ethernet ports around the house, and I've seen some attractive prices on Netgear 10 port MANAGED switches ($180) and 16 port UNMANAGED switches ($160) at justdeals.com (refurbs, but I trust the vendor, bought from them many times before)... Any reasonable alternatives?
>
> If I hook all my machines that have Gigabit ports together right now, I could occupy about 5-6 ports, but I expect that I will accumulate more machines with Gigabit ports inthe next 12-24 months, so 10 ports seems the minimum, and 16 seems like a good top-end solution.
>
> I'd like to keep the cost under $200, but I'd also like something worth deploying - any pointers?
>
> Lionel

While I've had good luck with Justdeals, I have had lousy luck with
Netgear 100 Mbit and gigabit unmanaged switches.  I run two different
labs which currently use a total of 10 different Netgear switches, and I
have to power cycle one at least once a week.  They simply stop
switching and drop traffic on the floor.  Frequently changing equipment
on the switch will exacerbate the problem, but the last two times I
power-cycled, I hadn't changed anything; I simply couldn't reach the
printer attached to the switch from any other system.

Tom