[geeks] Is there an "Idiot's Guide to Co-Location"?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Jul 31 10:57:24 CDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 11:46:05AM -0400, Dave K wrote:
> I know there are some people here who are managing servers in
> co-location facilities.  Here at $WORK we have reached the point where
> we think doing this for certain network resources will be a better
> choice than trying to upgrade our in-house infrastructure.
>
> My problem is that I have never been involved with co-location, so I'm
> not even sure I know what the questions are I should be asking, much
> less the answers.
>
> Anyone have any advice as to how to get started?

This all depends on what you're looking for in your colo DC and how much
you're looking to spend.  Never a good answer, is it?

 o External Bandwidth. - who are they peering with?  How does this
   bandwidth enter their building?  Are all their BW providers coming
   in on the same bundle of fibre?

 o Power - UPS capacity, generators, how often they test, do they
   test under load, when do the trucks show up with more fuel for the
   generators, etc.

 o internal bandwidth - VLANs, switches, etc.  Are they handing you a
   switch port or a router port?

 o remote hands - do they charge if you need someone to just go over to
   a box and reboot it?  How about hooking up a console and reading the
   output of the screen?  After-hours support?  After-hours access?

 o Physical security - who gets the keys to your racks?  Do you get a
   set or do they have to come and open the racks for you when you show
   up?

That's a start, I'm sure others have more to add, or comments on what
I've started with.  It's been a few years since I've been colo shopping,
so I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple of big ones.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org