[geeks] Is there an "Idiot's Guide to Co-Location"?

Paul Booth pabooth at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 12:12:08 CDT 2006

On 7/31/06, Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org> wrote:

> That's a start, I'm sure others have more to add, or comments on what
> I've started with.  It's been a few years since I've been colo shopping,
> so I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple of big ones.

Fire suppression - do they have any?  Is it maintained properly, is it
up-to-date?

Smoke detection - VESDA, etc.

Building management - How is everything monitored and managed?

Cooling - below floor?  Above floor?  Capacities?  Redundancy?

Access procedures and accessibility generally - how do you get people
and kit in and out of the building.

Cross connects to other cabs - do they charge a fortune?

Capacity - do they have room for you to grow?

Racks - do they supply or do you have to supply?  Do the ones they
supply meet your requirements (depth, proper venting, mounting
capabilities, square or round holes, etc).

Staging facilities - do they have a build room you can get up and
running in, or do you have to spend days building your stack in an
unhealthy datacenter?