[geeks] RHCE advice

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue Jul 25 12:11:41 CDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 12:30:49PM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 09:32:33AM -0500, Michael Parson wrote:
>
>>>   1) Take PostScript copy of risumi.
>>>   2) Use pstops to break each page into individual files.
>>>   3) Use ImageMagick to rotate each page in an arbitrary direction by
>>>      less than a degree and convert to JPEG at low quality so that it
>>>      looks like it's been faxed a few times.  You can use ImageMagick to
>>>      introduce noise at this step, but there's no sense in going
>>>      overboard.
>>>   4) Insert JPEG images into .doc file using TextEdit.app or WordPad or
>>>      OpenOffice.
>>
>> I like this idea.  Now if I just had some nice command-line utils to do
>> that last step.
>
> I would imagine that it could be done easily enough with AppleScript if
> you are using a Mac.  I don't know about using OpenOffice in that manner
> on other platforms.

Well, OpenOffice isn't a native app for MacOS, but there is NeoOffice,
which is still in alpha test versions, but it might be Applescript-able.

>>> I provide my risumi in HTML, PDF, PostScript, and ASCI text.  If their
>>> computer systems are too retarded to open that in Word, or their
>>> operators are too lazy to do so, so am I.
>>
>> My resume is a troff doc that groff can turn into PS (then pdf), HTML,
>> and ASCII.  I even have a nice little makefile to manage it.  Sadly,
>> troff->rtf is still a bit lacking.
>
> Would you mind sharing?  I've been using LaTeX, but for some reason I'm
> fascinated by the idea of switching to groff.

What's to share?  The troff source file?  It's a basic -me macro file,
but if you really want it, contact me off-list and I'll point you to it.
Or the Makefile?  Either way, off-list, I'll send you the info.

>>> For the sake of perversity, I use Microsoft Word for step #4 and then
>>> "protect" the document so that nothing can be selected or copied
>>> without typing a password.
>>
>> That, I like.
>
> Almost makes it seem worth getting a copy of Word.

Almost, but somehow, not quite.  Might just borrow some time on a
friend's computer, or do it at work :-/

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org