[geeks] RHCE advice

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 22:25:11 CDT 2006

On 7/25/06, Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org> wrote:
> > I would imagine that it could be done easily enough with AppleScript if
> > you are using a Mac.  I don't know about using OpenOffice in that manner
> > on other platforms.
>
> Well, OpenOffice isn't a native app for MacOS, but there is NeoOffice,
> which is still in alpha test versions, but it might be Applescript-able.

I have to say, even in alpha form, I like NeoOffice better than OO on
Linux.  That may just be an artifact of the Aqua libraries being
"speedier" than the bloat that passes for a GUI on Linux, but I can't
be sure.

There are a few interface things that OO does that I don't like,
though.  I've been having trouble grokking how it handles tables and
hanging indents.  I tried RTFM'ing but the docs are just stupid
enumerations of what the menus->commands do. :-/

It's just too bad that Adobe hasn't seen fit to port Framemaker to OS
X.  Kinda stupid, given there's a Sparc X11 version--I doubt Mac geeks
would balk at running it under X11.

=Nadine=