[geeks] RHCE advice

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jul 25 11:30:49 CDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 09:32:33AM -0500, Michael Parson wrote:

> >   1) Take PostScript copy of risumi.
> >   2) Use pstops to break each page into individual files.
> >   3) Use ImageMagick to rotate each page in an arbitrary direction by
> >      less than a degree and convert to JPEG at low quality so that it
> >      looks like it's been faxed a few times.  You can use ImageMagick to
> >      introduce noise at this step, but there's no sense in going
> >      overboard.
> >   4) Insert JPEG images into .doc file using TextEdit.app or WordPad or
> >      OpenOffice.
>
> I like this idea.  Now if I just had some nice command-line utils to do
> that last step.

I would imagine that it could be done easily enough with AppleScript if
you are using a Mac.  I don't know about using OpenOffice in that manner
on other platforms.

> > I provide my risumi in HTML, PDF, PostScript, and ASCI text.  If their
> > computer systems are too retarded to open that in Word, or their
> > operators are too lazy to do so, so am I.
>
> My resume is a troff doc that groff can turn into PS (then pdf), HTML,
> and ASCII.  I even have a nice little makefile to manage it.  Sadly,
> troff->rtf is still a bit lacking.

Would you mind sharing?  I've been using LaTeX, but for some reason I'm
fascinated by the idea of switching to groff.

> > For the sake of perversity, I use Microsoft Word for step #4 and then
> > "protect" the document so that nothing can be selected or copied
> > without typing a password.
>
> That, I like.

Almost makes it seem worth getting a copy of Word.