[geeks] RHCE advice

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Jul 24 14:01:25 CDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 01:35:02PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Dan Duncan wrote:
> > For work reasons, it would be advantageous for me to get an RHCE cert.
> As someone who's had to interview "certified" Unix/Linux admins before,
> I'd suggest not wasting your time.
> The interviews usually went a lot like this:
<snip>
>    he:  That's not a Linux box.  That's a DOS box.  There's no GUI.
<snip>
>    he:  Hey, are you sure this box it loaded correctly?  I can't find
>         control-panel anywhere!

I guarantee you, the RHCE refresher-class-plus-test I went through for my
certification was NOTHING like that.

I asked at the beginning of the class, "Do you want us to do things with the
admin tools, or fix things by hand?"  He said "I don't care, as long as you
solve the problem at hand and the system works".

We spent more time at a command prompt than in a GUI.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas