[geeks] Moneydance questions...

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Fri Jul 14 17:31:48 CDT 2006

On Jul 14, 2006, at 5:06 PM, Michael Parson wrote:

> I'm a recent Mac switcher and had to go through this pain for my
> personal accounts.  Make no mistake about it, all ways of moving off
> Quicken for Windows involves pain.  You can only export accounts
> individually, so when you re-import them into your new app (I went
> with Moneydance after lots of googling and reading), you wind up with
> duplicate entries for all transactions that were between accounts
> (paying off CCs, transfers from checking to savings, etc).
>
> Sucks.
>
> I wound up basically just ignoring all my accounts but checking.  I
> hate
> that, but I have 8 years of data and trying to untangle that mess was
> gonna drive me crazy.

I found while playing with Moneydance that if you're importing data
from a single checking account you should delete the Savings account
first, edit the Checking account for "Initial Balance" and then do the
import.  My only annoyance with the OFX import is that a fair amount of
the transactions only have an address not the company name on them.
Makes identifying the category a little difficult.

> I'm just using it for personal finance, haven't really looked at it
> from
> the perspective of managing business accounts.
>
> I have no idea if other applications have better (any?) duplicate
> transaction detection/prevention/whatever.

Actually after several considerations I looked at my finances and
literally just decided to take the recent OFX download from my bank and
import it into Moneydance.

(I'd dearly love to get the damn bank to give me a complete account
history so I can do some analysis but I've been told by many good
people that that's not possible unless I want to pay $5/statement and
enter them manually.)

Moneydance looks like it's going to do what I want it to do and it's
available for Mac, Linux, and Winblows.  They even have a generic 'BSD
version.

Thus I paid for Moneydance.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Mike
----
"Badger, Badger, Badger is proof that God loves filkers." - Zombie
Benjamin Franklin