[geeks] Moneydance questions...

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Jul 14 17:06:53 CDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 07:25:38AM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:
> I don't like the way Intuit acts and GnuCASH is a pain to install so
> I'm thinking about trying Moneydance but it's $30 currently if I want
> to try and import my OFX file.
>
> Anybody used the OFX import feature?  How does this software compare
> to Quicken?  Also is it strictly for personal finance or does it do a
> good job for business accounts as well?

I'm a recent Mac switcher and had to go through this pain for my
personal accounts.  Make no mistake about it, all ways of moving off
Quicken for Windows involves pain.  You can only export accounts
individually, so when you re-import them into your new app (I went
with Moneydance after lots of googling and reading), you wind up with
duplicate entries for all transactions that were between accounts
(paying off CCs, transfers from checking to savings, etc).

Sucks.

I wound up basically just ignoring all my accounts but checking.  I hate
that, but I have 8 years of data and trying to untangle that mess was
gonna drive me crazy.

I'm just using it for personal finance, haven't really looked at it from
the perspective of managing business accounts.

I have no idea if other applications have better (any?) duplicate
transaction detection/prevention/whatever.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org