[geeks] Solaris 10 install size

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jul 13 13:25:22 CDT 2006

Thu, 13 Jul 2006 @ 13:57 -0400, Nadine said:

> OK, you are right on those points, so let me be more specific.  I want
> a better explanation of the service admin commands, as opposed to the
> laundry list of defining every option--with unrealistic examples I
> might add--that the current docs cover.  Specifically, I think they
> gloss the legacy stuff which is a huge oversight to me, given that
> probably 20% of the *stock* services are still fall under legacy.

I agree with what you say about the examples being useless.  That's my
pet peeve about a lot of documentation and books, Sun's in particular:
100% correct but useless information abounds, but correct and useful
information is rare.  Real life is not made up of cookie-cutter
cause-and-effect.

The examples in most documentation really stinks.  No imagination at
all.

I find that the "cookbook" type references are usually pretty good, even
though they obviously focus on one person's or group's experiences.
Some of them are edited lists of many people's experiences.

But, those books are not really good general references.

What we really need is a combination of the two.

It is rare to find that kind of book.

My problem is I like seeing a book before buying, and our local
bookstores have a pitiful computer section.  I generally have to drive
to Richmond or the DC area to see a decent book selection, and those
trips are pretty rare.

Book publishers also have a tendency to keep tabs on where I am, and
time their new releases for the day after I get back home.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["People should have access to the data which
you have about them.  There should be a process for them to challenge any